Omaha Street Names




A   B   C   D   E   F   G   H   I   J   K   L   M   N   O   P   Q   R   S   T   U   V   W   X   Y   Z

John I. Redick came to Omaha in 1856 as an attorney. He was an investor in the Grand Central Hotel and in railroads, and built the Redick Opera House. As head of the presidential Nebraska delegation in Baltimore, he nominated Lincoln for a second term, and later did the same for Grant in Philadelphia. The title of “Judge” was bestowed on him by Grant, who appointed him U.S. Judge for New Mexico in 1876.

Joseph Redman, an 1856 settler, was a city council member in 1878 when a controversy raged over the granting of a contract for building a waterworks.  He was also member of Omaha’s first Board of Education, and a deputy assessor.


Lizzie Robinson rose from birth as a slave to national influence in the ministry of the Church of God in Christ. She helped develop the women's ministry and other groups of the COIC. In 1916 she and her husband Edward founded the first Church of God in Christ in  Nebraska, a “mother” church of what became the largest African Pentecostal denomination in the world.

An 1855 graduate of West Point, General George D. Ruggles was commander of Fort Kearney at the beginning of the Civil War. In 1875 he was a member of a delegation led by General George Crook, Commander of the Department of the Platte, escorting President Grant from Des Moines to Omaha.
An institution called the St. Mary’s Convent was once in the vicinity; the convent is long gone, but the name remains. The street runs at an angle because Harrison Johnson used it as a short cut to get to and from Omaha City to his southwest homestead.

The story is that a saddle fell off a wagon while crossing the creek that then flowed in the area.  When a road was established, it became known as Saddle Creek Road.

John Hoornbeek Sahler, an early settler, was one of two representatives sent to Washington D.C. to lobby, unsuccessfully, for certain legislation on behalf of Omaha. He was a police judge of Omaha in 1868.
Saratoga Street takes its name from the old Saratoga town and precinct on the north side between Omaha and Florence.
Alvin Saunders was appointed by President Lincoln to be territorial governor of Nebraska in 1861 and reappointed him in 1865. Following a term as a United Senator for Nebraska, he entered the business world of banking, real estate and railroads. He was an original stockholder of the Omaha Smelting Company. Saunders chaired the committee that went to Washington, D.C., to press for the Union Pacific Bridge to be built at Omaha. As president of the Board of Regents of Omaha High School, he was involved in the building of the High School that replaced the Territorial Capitol Building.
Seward Street has two possible namesakes: William H. Seward, President Lincoln’s Secretary of State, or H. L. Seward, Omaha city marshal in 1871.
General William T. Sherman, after a career of successes and failures, became Commander in Chief of the Army after General Grant’s retirement. He was popular in Omaha during the building of the union Pacific Railroad.
Omaha businessman Axel Vergman Sorensen chaired the fifteen-member delegate convention in 1956 that wrote the city’s current governing charter.  He later commented, “It was the worst job he ever had.”  Mayor of Omaha from 1965 to1969, he did not run for re-election.  Race riots in the summer of 1966 and during George Wallace's visit in 1968, signaled the racial problems dividing the population. The street is frequently misspelled 'Sorenson.'
S. K. Spaulding was a physician who was a member of the Douglas County Medical Society, the Omaha Medical Society, and the faculty of the John A. Creighton Medical College. He was also a member of the Manufacturers and Consumers Association and a president of the School Board.
E. L. Stone, with Charles E. Dewey, founded an Omaha furniture and carpet business. It started as a small local company and spread across the continent to the Pacific coast. He was an organizer and stockholder of the Omaha Motor Railway Company.

German immigrant Gottlieb Storz’s brewery began operations in 1884.  Following Gottlieb's death in 1938, son Arthur C. Storz carried on the business until market changes forced closure in 1972.  Arthur introduced a product for women in 1953 called “Storzette.” His “orchid of beer” had a pink orchid on a smaller can, was “less bitter” and had fewer calories.  However, the queen-size beers failed to attract a following.  Arthur went on to play an important role in promoting aviation locally and nationally.




© 2013, Douglas County Historical Society.   All rights reserved.