Omaha Street Names


   

 

      

A   B   C   D   E   F   G   H   I   J   K   L   M   N   O   P   Q   R   S   T   U   V   W   X   Y   Z

MANDERSON  ST.
Charles F. Manderson, a veteran of the Civil War, came to Omaha in 1869. He was a member of the constitutional conventions of 1871 and 1875, served as city attorney for six years, and was a two-term member of the U.S. Senate.
MARCY  ST.
Marcy Street was named for William L. Marcy, Secretary of State in the cabinet of President Franklin Pierce, at the time the Nebraska Territory was organized.
MARTHA  ST.
Pioneer and city leader Samuel Rogers named the street after his wife, whose maiden name was Martha Brown. His career included law, merchandising, real estate, and banking. Samuel and William Rogers built the sixth house in Omaha.
MASON  ST.

Mason Street is said to have been named for Judge Charles Mason, an eminent lawyer and jurist of Iowa in early days.

MERCER  BLVD.

Dr. Samuel D. Mercer was one of the leading early physicians of the region, arriving in Omaha in 1866. After retiring from his medical career, Dr. Mercer became active in developing the cable tramways, motor street railways, and the fashionable Walnut Hills neighborhood. Mercer’s descendants, Sam and Mark, were paramount forces for the creation of the “Old Market.” Sam started the development by restoring the family warehouses in the district, saying building contemporary structures “would have been like painting over the Mona Lisa.

MEREDITH  ST.
Meredith Avenue was named for John Reid Meredith, a native of Pennsylvania and a leading Omaha attorney following his arrival in 1857. He was a member of the city council in 1868, a stalwart of the Presbyterian church, and one of the incorporators of the Omaha Horse Railway Company.
MILITARY  AVE.
A part of the original Overland Trail, Military Road snaked through Omaha and Benson starting in 1857. It was used to move military supplies to Fort Kearny. Military Road was used by thousands of settlers heading to the Northwest. The road was purposely laid out over high ground so that emigrants and freighters could have a good view of the surrounding country as a protection against attacks. In 1994 a portion of Military Road near 82nd and Fort Streets was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
MILLARD  AVE.

The Millard family was a major contributor to Omaha’s development and growth. Ezra Millard arrived in Omaha in 1856 and went into banking. He organized the Omaha National Bank in 1866, moving on to its presidency until 1884. Politics and construction of commercial buildings and the first class Millard Hotel also occupied him. Ezra Millard purchased the land that became the town of Millard in 1871.

MILLER  ST.
Dr. George L. Miller was one of Omaha’s first physicians. Becoming involved in politics, he served in the territorial council and was a member of a delegation that went to New York to promote Omaha as the location for the Union Pacific’s Railroad Bridge. He left medicine in 1865 to enter journalism and founded the Omaha Daily Herald, serving for many years as its editor.
MINNE LUSA BLVD.
Named for the Florence Pumping Station, Minne Lusa comes from an Indian term meaning “clear water.”
MORMON  ST.
The street’s name commemorates the Mormon’s desperate “Winter Quarters” of the winter of 1846-47. Brigham Young was leading his followers, driven out of Nauvoo, Illinois, to find their “New Zion.”
NAKOMA AVE.

Nakoma Ave. comes from Lake Nakoma, a former name for Carter Lake. The lake was originally called Cut-Off Lake.

NICHOLAS  ST.
The street may be named for the first building and hotel in Omaha, constructed for the Council Bluffs and Nebraska Ferry Company. It became the home of William “Billy” Snowden and his wife Rachel, Omaha’s first permanent white settlers. They moved into the building at 12th and Jackson Street on July 11, 1854, with the building also serving as Omaha’s first hotel, the St. Nicholas.

                                                                                                                                           

  

© 2013, Douglas County Historical Society.   All rights reserved.