Omaha Street Names


   

 

This list of street names is the start of what we hope will be a continuously
evolving resource. It was compiled through the efforts of Orville D. Menard,
Professor Emeritus, University of Nebraska at Omaha
Member, Douglas County Historical Society Board of Directors
See end page for bibliography.

A   B   C   D   E   F   G   H   I   J   K   L   M   N   O   P   Q   R   S   T   U   V   W   X   Y   Z

ABBOTT  DR.
Chris J. Abbott was a supporter of improving the roadway to Eppley Air Field. The goal was to replace an eyesore entryway to Omaha with an attractive and modernized main corridor between the Air Field and downtown Omaha.  Its unofficial name is “String of Pearls,” for the beauty of its illumination.
AMES  AVE.
Oakes Ames was a heavy investor in the Union Pacific Railroad and a Congressman from Massachusetts.  His involvements with the U.P., the Credit Mobilier, and contracting led to a congressional censure in 1873.  He died ten weeks later.  At the highest point of the railroad, Sherman, Wyoming, a large granite monument was built in his memory.
ARBOR  ST.
Arbor Street was named for the family vineyard by the daughter of Issac Hascal, a pioneer lawyer and politician.
ARCADIA  AVE.
Arcadia is a region in Peloponnesus in Greece, north of Messenia and east of Olympia.  King Arcas, the son of Zeus, was made immortal and placed among the constellations as Bear Watchers.
BANCROFT ST.
George Bancroft, historian, statesman, and Secretary of the Navy in the cabinet of James Polk, is best known for his ten volume History of the United States.
BARKER  AVE.
Joseph Barker was a minister who came to the United States from England in 1851. He came to Omaha in 1856. Active in real estate and banking, his sons, Joseph Jr., and George, built the Barker Block and the Barker Building. The Douglas County Historical Society has published two volumes of letters, titled Their Man in Omaha, that Joseph Jr. wrote to family members in England between 1868 and 1876. The street may be possibly be named for his brother George.
BAUMAN ST.

Otto Bauman worked in a bank, engaged in real estate, and was once a hotel proprietor.   He was a Deputy County treasurer from 1923 to 1943. During those years the County Court House was a Democratic Party stronghold, and Bauman never lost an election for the office.  He was a delegate to the 1928 and 1932 Democratic Party National Conventions.

BEDFORD  AVE.
Jefferson W. Bedford was a city councilman, county commissioner, state senator and mayoral candidate. Bedford chaired the construction of the Douglas County Court House in 1912 and laid the cornerstone for the building. He owned the land that was subdivided and later formed Bedford Avenue.
BLAINE ST.
James G. Blaine of Maine was a Congressman, Senator, and Secretary of State in the cabinets of James Garfield, Chester Arthur, and Benjamin Harrison.
BLONDO  ST.
Perhaps named for Maurice Blondeaux, a nineteenth century French fur trader.

ROSE BLUMKIN DR.
 
An impoverished child native of Russia, Rose Blumkin founded the Nebraska Furniture Mart in 1937 and built it into the nation’s largest furniture and carpet store.  Her motto was “sell cheap, tell the truth, and don’t cheat nobody.”  Small in stature, she started her furniture store with $500 she borrowed from her brother and became a business giant.  She died at age 104.
BOB  BOOZER  DR.
Robert “Bob” Boozer was a basketball star at Technical High School who helped the U.S. Olympic team win a gold medal  in Rome in 1960. Boozer was an NBA All-Star who enjoyed success with the Chicago Bulls, Seattle SuperSonics and Milwaukee Bucks. Following his playing days, he became a business executive with Northwestern Bell Telephone.
BOYD  ST.
Ireland-born James E. Boyd, came to Omaha as a carpenter, but became a leading businessman, politician and patron of the arts. He was an organizer and president of the Omaha and Northwestern Railroad and the Central National Bank. Politically, he was a member of the state constitutional conventions, was twice mayor of Omaha in the 1880s, and was elected governor of Nebraska in 1890.  His election as governor was contested on the grounds he was not a citizen, and it took a U.S. Supreme Court decision to resolve the issue in his favor. (Boyd vs. Thayer.)  He built two opera houses in Omaha to enrich its cultural life.

BROWN ST.
 
Born in Alabama in 1915, Mildred Brown was a civil rights activist and founder of the Omaha Star newspaper, the only African-American paper currently published in Nebraska. She championed the African-American community in Omaha and challenged racial discrimination. By means of scholarships she provided, pressing for employment opportunities, and advocating a positive approach for her community, she earned widespread admiration and countless awards. President Lyndon Johnson appointed her a Goodwill Ambassador to East Germany, and she was inducted into the Omaha Business Hall of Fame, the Omaha Press Club Hall of Fame and in 2007 posthumously to the Nebraska Journalism Hall of Fame.
BURDETTE  ST.

Robert Burdette, 1880s preacher and lecturer, wrote that “There are two days of the week which I never worry about: one is yesterday and the other is tomorrow.”

BURT  ST.
Newly appointed first territorial governor of Nebraska, Francis Burt arrived in Bellevue, Nebraska, on October 6, 1854.  He died a few days later on October 18, 1854, only forty-five years old.  See Cuming Street.

                                                                                                                                                                               

 

© 2013 Douglas County Historical Society.   All rights reserved.