Richard C. Cushing
January 7, 1890-January 5, 1892
When James Boyd turned down the nomination for mayor, Democrats nominated
Richard Cushing, who had served as a representative to the Nebraska
Legislature in 1889. Though a relative unknown, he easily defeated George
Lininger for the mayoral post.
Mr. Cushing was out of town when he was nominated and was also away from the
city during the election, necessitating his notification of the developments
In his inaugural address, Mr. Cushing noted — in describing Omaha’s “wide,
clean and well paved streets,” wonderful growth, solid and substantial
prosperity of business and manufacturing enterprises, numerous, excellent
schools and thousands of handsome dwellings — that “all have contributed to
give our city a name that is second to none of the newer great cities of our
country.” He urged his city council to leave “nothing undone or untried” in
advancing the city.
Mr. Cushing taught school in Wisconsin until the outbreak of the Civil War.
Assigned to the quartermaster’s department, he later rose to post
superintendent at Fort Morgan, Colorado. Following the war the Rochester,
New York native settled in Plattsmouth, where he lived for 15 years. A
10-year member of the city council, he was “the moving spirit in the growth
and enterprise of that thriving city,” according to an obituary in The
Mr. Cushing came to Omaha in the mid-1880s and formed the railroad
contracting firm of Mallory, Cushing & Co. He was named president of the
East Omaha Land Company, which he helped organize in 1887. After his term as
mayor in 1892, he became a vice president of Nebraska National Bank.
He moved to Los Angeles in 1906 and died there in 1913.